- Lavery LA, Armstrong DG, Wunderlich RP, Mohler MJ, Wendel CS, Lipsky BA. Risk factors for foot infections in individuals with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006;29:1288-93.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet: National Estimates and General Information On Diabetes and Prediabetes in the United States, 2011. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- National Diabetes Education Program. Diabetes Prevention Program Fact Sheet. May 2011. http://ndep.nih.gov/media/dpp-fact-sheet-508.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2013.
- American Diabetes Association. Living with Diabetes—Blood Glucose Control.
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- National Diabetes Education Program. Take Care of Your Heart, Manage Your Diabetes. April 2010. http://ndep.nih.gov/media/TCH_AsAm_flyer_Eng.pdf. Accessed January 26, 2013.
- National Diabetes Education Program. The Link between Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. http://ndep.nih.gov/media/CVD_FactSheet.pdf. Accessed January 26, 2013.
- American Diabetes Association. Living with Diabetes: Foot Care
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/foot-complications/foot-care.html. Accessed January 27, 2013.
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Sexual and Urologic Problems of Diabetes. Published December 2008, updated June 2012. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/sup/. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC) website. Kidney Disease of Diabetes. Published September 2008, updated September 2010. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kdd/. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Why Taking Care of Your Diabetes is Important. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/care.aspx#kidneys. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Your Guide to Diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/guide.aspx. October 2008. NIH Publication No. 09–4016. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- Patient Education Institute. X-Plain Diabetes: Eye Complications. From the National Institutes of Health website. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/diabeteseyecomplications/db019104.pdf.
Accessed October 28, 2012.
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute website. What is Diabetic Heart Disease? Published September 2011. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dhd/. Accessed October 28, 2012.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. NINDS Diabetic Neuropathy Information Page. Updated September 18, 2008. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/diabetic/diabetic.htm. Accessed October 28, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association. Living with Diabetes: Neuropathy (Nerve Damage). http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed October 28, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association: Consensus Development Conference on Diabetic Foot Wound Care: 7-8 April 1999, Boston, Massachusetts. Diabetes Care. 1999;22:1354-60.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Diabetes at Work Fact Sheet. Updated May 20, 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/factsheets/atwork.htm.
Accessed October 29, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association website. Living with Diabetes: Other Specialists. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/who-is-on-your-healthcare-team/other-specialists.html. Accessed October 29, 2012.
- Singh N, Armstrong DG, Lipsky BA. Preventing foot ulcers in patients with diabetes. J Amer Med Assoc. 2005;293:217-28.
- American Diabetes Association. Living with Diabetes: Peripheral Arterial Disease. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/peripheral-arterial-disease.html. Accessed October 29, 2012.
- Roberts AD, Simon GL. Diabetic foot infections: the role of microbiology and antibiotic treatment. Semin Vasc Surg. 2012;25:75-81.
- Kruse I, Edelman S. Evaluation and treatment of diabetic foot ulcers. Clin Diabetes. 2006;24(2):91-3.
- American Diabetes Association: Foot Complications. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/foot-complications/. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- American Diabetes Association. Diabetes basics. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/symptoms/. Accessed March 6, 2013.
- Lavery et al. Diabetic foot syndrome: evaluating the prevalence and incidence of foot pathology in Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites from a diabetes disease management cohort. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:1435-38.
- Ramsey et al. Incidence, outcomes, and cost of foot ulcers in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1999;22:382-87.
- Boulton AJM, Armstrong DG, Albert SF, et al. Comprehensive foot examination and risk assessment. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(8):1679-85.